Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hampir Habis

Which is Bahasa for almost finished. And it's true-- this little adventure has just about come to an end. I wrote the big paper, we presented and had a little oral exam, then spent a few days relaxing at a beach in East Bali (possibly my favorite geographic region of this island, a perfect combination of lush and arid, with huge mountain views and black- to gray-sand volcanic beaches, all drenched in golden sunlight and with a vibe of pre-modern times). Continuing with my digression, beach is a bit generous. Locals destroyed the reef dynamite fishing in the past, so now there are big breakwaters set up to capture some sand. But it's all good, as the breakwater was great to walk along and there were lots of crabs, not to mention great for stargazing.

But enough about my time unwinding in the east. It's time to reflect a bit, about lessons learned and expectations reversed. Basically, I knew that all my trepidation and unease in the beginning was just a symptom of anticipation; I knew that I was about to be thrown so far out of my comfort zone and routine that those very words would soon become meaningless. But I also knew that I'd end up having a good time in the end, like finishing a trying backpacking trip. What I wasn't prepared for were the friends I'd make, the epiphanies I'd have, and general awareness of how the rest of the world lives. It's going to be exceedingly difficult, coming back home, to try and explain everything I've seen and done here, the fact that I've sort of lived and began to understand how a completely different culture lives, new values and new approaches to everything, while still integrating to western life.

See, it's already impossible for me to explain myself coherently. I think what I'm saying is that I'll miss Bali. I'll miss the sounds, the smells, the heat. I'll miss all the delicious foods, martabak and nasi goreng, rambutan and manggis. I'll miss living life this way, where you spend your free time with family and friends, just sitting and living. I'll even miss the aspects that were kind of shocking in the beginning, the bemos and the bucket baths. Most of all though, I'll miss the people. I'll miss it when little kids run up to you and say hi, I'll miss how everyone smiles, I'll miss having strangers ask me if I've showered or eaten, and I'll miss the friends and family I've made here. Living in Bali was the cliched study abroad experience. I came because I have this nutty adventure complex, I grew and made some realizations about life and humanity, I developed a supreme hatred for tourists and expats (like the woman next to me yelling at the staff here because her internet is slow), and I think that I've grown up a bit. Just a little though, as my continual fascination with the geckos and crabs proves to me. We'll see how I manage to channel all of these overstimulating experiences when I get back home, and we'll see if I can manage to use them for some good. But what I do know is that it's been a grand old time, and that I'm already making plans to head back some day.

So here's to you, Bali, in all your splendor and squalor. I'll miss it all, the good and the bad, as it's all just a part of living life with joy, something that you manage quite well. Untuk semua, terima kasih banyak (dan suksemoa), sampai jumpa. Here's till next time.

1 comment:

  1. (wipes tear from eye)

    On a completely unrelated note, you're gonna watch Zombieland with me when we're back at school, ok? I've seen it twice already, and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete